The Clergy Leadership Institute will be offering my Clergy Career Development workshop from May 23 to May 25 at Adelynrood Conference Center in Byfield, MA (north of Boston.) The workshop will be one elective in a weeklong series of workshops. From May 21 to 23 an Introduction to Appreciative Inquiry workshop will be led by Rob Voyle. From May 23 to May 25, three electives are offered: one for interim clergy, one for search committee consultants, and one for clergy in or contemplating entering a job search.
Registration information for all four workshops can be found here. Brief descriptions of each follow.
Introduction to Appreciative Inquiry is our foundational appreciative inquiry program that introduces people not only to Appreciative Inquiry but also to the Appreciative Way. All of our other programs are built on the philosophy and practice of appreciative inquiry.
In this 2.5 day workshop participants will:
- Gain an in depth understanding of Appreciative Inquiry
- Conduct an appreciative inquiry into their own ministry
- Appreciatively review and develop your personal mission
- Learn practical appreciative tools to apply in your ministry
- Discover positive alternatives to viewing the church as dysfunctional
Clergy Career Development, led by Steve Ayres, teaches clergy how to use the self-knowledge identified during the Introduction to Appreciative Inquiry to shape their vocational journey and to seek a new call. The material outlined in “The Five Steps in the Discernment Process”, published earlier in this blog, will be covered in depth with individual hands on guidance from the Discernment Doctor (yours truly.) Bring copies of your resumes, TMO portfolios and other search documents for review.
Intro to Transitional Ministry, led by Rob Voyle, equips clergy for the specialized ministries of interim and priest in charge. Appreciative Interim Ministry or AIM pays particular attention to what the Transitional Minister “aims” for during the interim time. Rather than relying on a “one size fits all” formula for interim ministry AIM provides an incarnational way to join a congregation and develop a unique ministry for each ministry setting.
Some of the training topics will include:
- Establishing Goals for the Interim Time
- The Incarnational Ministry Fractal
- Joining the System
- Assessing Congregational Performance
- Developing Vision, Purpose and Plan
- Identifying Resources, Moving From Problems to Solutions
- Responding to Grief
- Growing Collaboration
- Leaving Strategies
Clergy Search Consulting, led by Kim Voyle uses the Appreciative Inquiry revision of Assessing Skills and Discerning Calls by Drs. Robert and Kim Voyle.
In this 2.5 day workshop participants will learn how to use the appreciative inquiry approach when conducting clergy searches including how to:
- Assess congregational needs during the search and transition
- Conduct a congregation-wide AI summit
- Create a parish profile
- Establish criteria for assessing a pastor
- Create a consensus scoring process for reviewing clergy competencies
- Use appreciative interviewing strategies
- Develop and assess performance on simulated ministry exercises
- Develop congregation specific discernment exercises